Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Week 34

It's been an interesting week! We had lots of strange experiences...

The week started off with MLC (missionary leadership correlation) which was fantastic. We talked a lot about asking questions, how they help us to understand other's needs and how they help us to also show our love for them. President Turner talked a lot about being an example learning from those that we are serving, especially other missionaries. I wanted to share a poem that Sister Turner shared during the training. It is called 'I'd Rather See A Sermon' by Edgar A. Guest

I'd rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example's always clear;
And the best of all preachers
are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action
is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it
if you'll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action,
but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver
may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lessons
by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you
and the high advice you give,
But there's no misunderstanding
how you act and how you live.
The next thing that happened was.... I could no longer avoid the dog soup >.< My companion Sister Carnahan is going home next transfer so her recent convert from another area came and bought us lunch. In all honesty it wasn't bad, but I don't think I'll be eating it again. I was really nervous when I found out what we would be eating for lunch, but luckily she ordered another dish that I ate more of. Afterwards we went and got bingsu (basically Korean shaved ice) for dessert. 


Dog soup... it looks so normal >.<
I was also blessed to go on exchanges with Sister Phochareon. She is such a wonderful missionary! We worked in my area together and taught our investigator. Sister Phochareon shared a powerful testimony about prayer. Hopefully our investigator had her heart open so that she could feel the spirit. Sister Phochareon is from Thailand so she is learning Korean as she learns English. It is such a struggle, but she is a wonderful example of diligence and patience!

Sister Phochareon
Later on in the week we had a lunch appointment with a member. We went out to a little place that was near her house and had a lot of tofu. We're talking about tofu in everything we ate. There was a tofu soup, tofu porridge, tofu with meat, and tofu as a side dish. Everything was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend any type of tofu :)

On our way home we stopped at a little art supply store to get a few things. From the moment that we walked in the man that was working there kept talking about my companion's blonde hair. She usually gets some stares on the street or comments from the people that we talk with, but this old guy just kept going on and on about it. Then when we paid for our things he grabbed her hand and started predicting her health. I couldn't understand a lot of it, but my companion said it was pretty interesting at first. Then he started talking about how he does acupuncture. He got up and was about to get his stuff to do it on us, but we said we had to leave for an appointment. He then grabbed my hand and started predicting my health. After he finished that he kept hitting me on the arm like all old people in Korea do. It was so weird! We quickly said goodbye and went on our way.

Before we made it home we say a woman on the street and said hello. She seemed so happy to see us and talked as if she knew us. We were really confused because neither of us had ever seen her before. She asked me how old I thought she was and when I replied "around 60" she started hitting me on the head with her bus card. She went off on a rant about how she is 82 and had lived in the apartment complex for 54 years. She hit me on the head a couple more times and then took off. Apparently she was going to the hospital because her legs were hurting... It was just a strange experience overall. I will say that she really did look only 60! 

This week was full of strange experience, but also filled with lots of miracles. We were able to call and visit lots of less-actives and old investigators. Our efforts payed off and we were able to set two appointments. The members in our ward are also amazing. They have been contacting one of our investigators who is going through some hard things in her family which have caused her to stop meeting us. They got her to come to church, but after it had already finished. It was the first time that we have seen her in over a month! Although I wish she could have been there for church, we've taken a step in the right direction. Our members really know how to love those that we are teaching! We are so blessed to work with them.

I know that this gospel is true. I know that the Lord has created the Plan of Happiness for each of his children. I know that through the knowledge of the gospel we can truly find eternal happiness. I love you all and hope you are well. Have a wonderful week!

-Sister Rindlisbacher

P.S. Here is the new greenie living in our house. Her name is Kim SuJin and she is adorable. 
Kim SuJin



No comments:

Post a Comment